HighLake Gold Project
50 kms west of Kenora, In Ontario next to Manitoba Border, next to TransCanada Highway
Key showings and deposits with historical resources in of 111,300 Oz @ approx. 10 g/t Au (non – NI 43-101)
100% Owned Mining Leases – 512 Ha
High Lake Gold Project
In 1936, an occurrence of electrum, which is a naturally occurring Au-Ag alloy, was
discovered by C.A. Alcock and R.J.Young, south of South Baubee Lake (Electrum Lake). This discovery marked the beginning of a long exploration history in the area. The High Lake Property has been explored in a piecemeal fashion since the early 1950s. The following table (Table 4) is a summary of the documented exploration carried out over the years that has included the High Lake/Electrum Lake Property.
1953: San Antonio Gold Mine optioned claims that included the western part of the Canadian Star group and carried out geophysical surveys and diamond drilling (20 holes totaling 4526 feet), not all of which were on the current Canadian Star property.
1953: N. A. Timmins Limited held claims in the western part of the current property and completed prospecting and sampling; several Mo-Cu occurrences discovered.
1953: Noranda Mines Limited completed geological mapping, ground magnetic and electromagnetic surveys on claims in the north-central part of the property.
1956: C.A. Alcock and A. Duncan completed 4 holes totaling 506 feet in the "Purdex Gold Zone" in the eastern part of the claim group. Assays have not been located.
1956: Green Bay Mining Company completed 6 drill holes (2,155 feet) on a “porphyry” Cu-Au zone northeast of the east end of High Lake.
1958: Purdex Minerals Limited completed geological mapping, trenching and 33 drill holes (8582 feet) in the eastern part of the property near the "Purdex Gold Zone".
1959-1961: Electrum Lake Gold Mines completed a drilling program on several zones in various parts of the HLEL property including the “A”, “B”, “C”, “D”, “W”, “P” and “R” - Zones in the center of the property as well as the “Arsenic Pond” zone east of the Shoal Lake highway; this included 71 holes totaling 12,962 feet.
1961: Selco Exploration Company Limited completed prospecting and trenching on a Cu occurrence (the Selco Pits) approximately 300 m north of High Lake and 1,600 m west of the “porphyry” zone. A 6 foot wide zone was traced for 300 feet; erratic Ag and Au values with up to 1% Cu were reported. Three drill holes were reportedly completed but results were not located. Several other gold zones in the western part of the Canadian Star property were investigated and reportedly drilled but locations are not clear.
1961: Bardyke Mines Limited completed prospecting, sampling and trenching on claims in the extreme west part of the Canadian Star property near the Ontario-Manitoba border; gold values were reported but no documentation is available.
1965-1967: Steep Rock Iron Mines Ltd. held an option on claims in the northwestern part of the Canadian Star property. They completed geological mapping and 49.5 line km of induced polarization (IP) survey; the target was a porphyry copper deposit.
1970: Croyden Mines Ltd. Completed an IP survey covering an area in the north-central part of the current current claim group.
1977: Pelican Mines Limited completed a series of drill holes on the Arsenic Pond Au Zone east of the Shoal Lake Highway; the holes were designed to test the zone at depth, but because they zone dips northward in the same direction as the holes, they were too shallow to intersect it.
1980-1981: Sherrit Gordon Mines Ltd. Completed field programs, data compilation and 6 holes (1248 feet) on claims towards the western end of the Canadian Star property. No significant assays were reported.
1981: Teck Corp. completed ground geophysical surveys, prospecting and drilling of one hole (78.7) in the extreme northwestern part of the Canadian Star property. Only anomalous base metals and Ag were intersected.
1982-1989: Consolidated Jalna Resources Limited (formerly Jalna Resources Ltd.), completed geological mapping, drilling and a resource estimate on the "Purdex Gold Zone"; they completed 12 drill holes totaling 5491 feet.
1982-1984: Barrier Reef Resources Ltd. completed geological mapping, soil sampling, ground magnetic and VLF/EM surveys. In 1984 the company assigned its rights to the property to a subsidiary company named Francis Resources Ltd.
1983-1987: David J. Busch completed metallurgical testing on samples from the Arsenic Pond Zone as well as ground magnetic, electromagnetic, geological and geochemical surveys in this area.
1983-1986: Gladys Stevens completed geological mapping, geochemical, ground magnetic and electromagnetic surveys and drilling on several targets in the western part of the leased claims east of High Lake; results are not completely available.
1985-1987 Francis Resources Ltd. (Barrier Reef Resources Ltd. above) merged with Northcal Resources to form Calnor Resources Ltd.
1987-1988: Calnor Resources Ltd completed 22 drill holes totaling 7594 feet in the western part of the current High Lake Property. In 1987, J.H. Reedman & Associates completed, on their behalf, a trenching and sampling program as well as a resource estimates on several zones located in the western part of the property and on adjacent claims (see Table 3).
1990-1991: R. J. Fairservice completed prospecting and rock sampling near the northeast end of Electrum Lake; grab samples up to 5 oz/ton (171 g/t) Au.
1990: Noranda Optioned several claim groups in the north and northeastern part of the Canadian Star property and completed geological mapping, sampling and an IP survey over the Arsenic Pond zone; they also discovered several new Au and Au/Mo occurrences in the western part of the property.
2004-2006: Cabo Mining Corp. completed prospecting and diamond drilling on several gold prospects in the Electrum Lake claim group including 4 holes in the area of the Arsenic Pond Au prospect. It included 10 holes totaling 1288 metres.
2007: IMMC acquired the Electrum Lake property from Cabo Mining Corp. and negotiated a purchase agreement for the High Lake property. They subsequently initiated a soil sampling (MMI) program over a portion of the eastern part of the property. Results are discussed in the Exploration Section below.
The High Lake/Electrum Lake Property held by Canadian Star, which includes the leased purchase, optioned claims and staked claim represents the first time that this area and all of its mineral occurrences has been held by one company.
Reserve and Resource Estimate (Historical)
Several resource estimates have been produced by previous explorers on the mineralized
zones identified in the eastern and western part of the High Lake Property. The author (Qualified Person) was unable to verify these historic estimates as the supporting data is incomplete, not all were prepared by an independent party, and they predate the implementation of NI 43-101. These estimates are not in accordance with NI 43-101 and should not be relied upon. They are presented in this report as a documentation of the past work for the purpose of outlining areas for future exploration on the “Property”. They include: Purdex Zone: In 1989, G.M. Leary, M.Sc., P.Eng. estimated, on behalf of Consolidated Jalna Resources Limited, approximately 250,000 tons of material grading from 0.25 to 0.30 ounces gold per ton (226,800 tonnes grading between 8.57 and 10.28 g/t Au). The estimates were based upon information from 33 drill holes (8,582 feet) completed by Purdex Minerals in 1958 and 12 holes (5,491 feet) drilled by Consolidated Jalna in 1989. The mineralization was in three zones – Purdex "A", Purdex "B" and Purdex "P" zones. A cutoff grade of 0.1 oz/ton and minimum thickness of 4.0 feet was used in the estimate.
Electrum Zones: In 1987, J.H. Reedman, B.Sc., M.Phil, M.I.M.M., C.Eng, on behalf of Calnor Resources Ltd. estimated "drill indicated reserves" of 100,000 tons with a grade of 0.33 oz/ton Au (91,000 tonnes @ 11.49 g/t Au) from 6 zones, Electrum “A”, Electrum “B”, Electrum “C”, Electrum "P", Electrum "R" and Electrum "W"; the average width of the zones was 8.73 feet (2.66 m); assays were uncut.
The Canadian Star High Lake/Electrum Lake Property lies in the Lake of the Woods greenstone belt which is located near the western end of the Wabigoon Subprovince, a 900 km long, east-west trending structural zone that is part of the Superior Province of the Canadian Shield. The Lake of the Woods greenstone belt is one of a series of six interconnected greenstone belts that make up the western part of the Wabigoon Subprovince in Northwestern Ontario (Blackburn et al., 1991). The greenstone belts, aged from 3.0 to 2.71 billion years (Ga), are made up of 60 – 80% ultramafic to felsic metavolcanic rocks of various types and 20 – 40% clastic and chemical metasediments. Numerous elliptical shaped granitic batholiths thought to be derived from the same parent magmas as the volcanic rocks (3.0 to 2.69 Ga old) are enclosed within the greenstone belts. All of these rocks have been extensively deformed and intruded locally by syntectonic and post tectonic plutons, dykes and small bodies of ultramafic to felsic composition.
The stratigraphy of the Lake of the Woods greenstone belt has been described in an OGS publication by Blackburn et al. (1991) and summarized in a report on the Electrum Lake Property by Burns (2006) as follows: “The Lake of the Woods greenstone belt consists of three stratigraphic units. In ascending order, these are i) the Lower Keewatin Supergroup; ii) the Upper Keewatin Supergroup consisting of mixed mafic to felsic metavolcanic and metasedimentary rocks; and iii) the Electrum Lake Supergroup composed of metasedimentary rocks. Syn-tectonic and post- tectonic granitoid rocks are intruded into all of the three units.”
The geology of the High Lake area is shown on Figure 5. The Electrum Lake claims
cover part of the contact zone between mafic to felsic metavolcanic and related metasedimentary rocks (High Lake Formation of the Upper Keewatin Supergroup) and metasedimentary rocks of the Electrum Lake Supergroup with the High Lake Granodioritie Stock (HLGS). This consists of an early synvolcanic phase dated at 2,727 Ma, and a late tectonic phase dated at 2,711 Ma years (Blackburn et al. 1991).
In general, the western part of the claim group is dominantly underlain by the High Lake intrusive body (granodiorite and quartz-feldspar porphyry) with 10% to 20% inclusions, large rafts and roof pendants of volcanic rock. The eastern part is underlain by a complex sequence of mafic to intermediate metavolcanic rocks, metasedimentary rocks (argillite, shale) and approximately 10 to 20% felsic dykes and sills. The centre of the Claim Group contains intercalated zones of felsic intrusive rocks and mafic to intermediate metavolcanic rock (approximately 50/50).
The High Lake/Electrum Lake Property lies within an area bounded by two, major east- west trending fault structures. Movement along these boundary faults appears to have created oblique northeast and northwest trending secondary structures with which the gold mineralization is associated.